The WHO defines a healthy person as the one who lacks both mental and physical illnesses. Mental health is closely connected to the psychological side of people’s lives. In many cases, mentally ill people can experience rapid behavioral and/or mood changes that often lead to difficulties in their communication, work and everyday life. With its fast pace and challenges, today’s life causes various mental disorders including stress, depression, anxiety, abuse, and traumatic experiences. Unfortunately, due to widespread social stigmas many cases of mental disorders remain undiagnosed.
Mental health is a complex subject, and research essays on it make the studying process more effective, as they let students investigate different types of mental disorders and their influence on people’s health. Besides, such papers help to raise awareness and educate society about mental health issues, their causes, symptoms, possible risks, and the ways to help people suffering from them.
This post provides some useful writing tips as well as inspiring and thought-provoking topics for the students who were assigned to a mental health research essay.
Tips on Choosing Great Topics for a Mental Health Research Paper
The success of the mental health papers depends on meticulous research, thorough planning, convincing argumentation, but most importantly – on the topic which directs the course of the study and the writing process. Many students hesitate when it comes to picking an idea for their future essay which is not surprising: mental health encompasses a significant number of problems that are worth writing about. If it’s hard for you to come up with a good topic, you can start by choosing a particular type of mental disorder and search among the issues related to it. Prevalent types of mental disorders include stress, depression, anxiety & panic attacks, anger, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, eating and sleep problems, various personality disorders and phobias, self-harm, suicidal feelings, to name just a few.
Here are a few more recommendations on choosing research ideas on mental health:
- Your best bet would be a topic that really interests you. Writing about something that evokes your curiosity will make the whole process more enjoyable.
- You can find some good ideas by checking through the recent scientific publications (such as scholarly journals in your school library) and news articles on mental health (e.g., Health Science Magazine published by NHA).
- Look through the topics covered in your school textbooks to get some basic ideas.
- Browsing the Internet is a quick way to find some research suggestions worth your attention. Just google something like “research paper topics mental health” and check the sites and online databases that come up.
Once you’ve chosen the topic of your future essay, conduct extensive research on it. Use information from reliable sources only and make detailed notes. Develop an outline and use it as a basic plan. Usually, research papers on mental health have such parts as an introduction, main body, conclusion, and bibliography. Revise, proofread, and format your work before submitting it.
Best Ideas for Research Papers on Mental Health
Further, you’ll find some great research paper topics about mental health; for your convenience, they are divided into several groups.
- The causes of self-destructive tendencies in children
- Can video games, films, and music evoke violence, anger, and phobias in people?
- The most common phobias and the ways to overcome them
- The physical effects of anxiety and constant stress on the human body
- The causes and signs of various eating disorders
Mental health treatment
- In what ways do music therapy and art therapy help people with mental disorders?
- What are the best ways to treat ADHD (attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder) in children?
- What are the main differences between a psychiatrist, a psychologist, and a counselor?
- The ways of treating post-traumatic stress syndrome in soldiers
- The early signs of postpartum depression and effective ways to help women suffering from it
Anxiety & panic attacks
- The symptoms, conditions, and treatment of social anxiety
- How does normal anxiety differ from mental illness?
- The common factors causing a panic disorder
- The role of regular physical exercising in overcoming depression
- The warning signs of depression in teenagers that parents can notice
- The impact of untreated depression on the mental health of a person
Sleep deprivation & disorders
- The effect of sleep deprivation on a person’s daily performance
- The link between sleep deprivation and cardiovascular disease
- The overview of common sleep disorders and their effects on a person’s life
- What are the key differences between OCD and OCPD, and what are the effective ways to help people with these disorders?
- Perfectionism as a part of OCD, and its effect on a person’s everyday life
- The signs, effects, and treatment of narcissistic personality disorder
Preparing a solid and informative paper on mental health is not an easy task. Sometimes you can find yourself stuck in the middle of the writing process. Instead of running the risk of missing the deadline and failing the grade, you can apply to a reliable writing company and buy a paper online. A team of professional research paper writers for hire working for such a service will do their best to help you get the job done according to the highest academic standards.