Evaluation Of Legal Cases Essay Example
1. A. Larry was fired lawfully, as termination of employment for the bad attitude is legal. It is possible for the employer to fire a worker for any reason, except for the discrimination. However, the employee has to receive a written notice that his/her actions were inappropriate in order to have a document that will prove a reasonable doubt of the employee’s inability to work on this position.
1. B. In the case of Moe, UMass/Amherst had to provide a written notification explaining the company’s concern with his actions. Overall, the organization had to give him time for improvement with the further evaluation of Moe’s progress. Nevertheless, if the policy of the company contains the provisions about the conduct of its employees in terms of rudeness, the termination of employment was legal in the present case. It is possible for Moe to file a lawsuit against his former employer, but he has to prove that the Mall’s actions were illegal due to the discrimination if there was any. Otherwise, Moe do not have grounds to suit UMass/Amherst.
2. In the Eddie’s case, the town has the legal right to seize property due to the rule of eminent domain that is encapsulated in the 5th Amendment. However, 5th Amendment states that the state can implement such actions only in case of reimbursement for the seized property. Also, the state has to reimburse the private owner according to the market value of the property. In the Eddie’s case, the town requires him to present the testimony of his house and land’s value, which is not correct. The town has to do research itself on the basis of market value of the property and present it to the owner 60 days prior to seizing it.
3. A. A woman soldier can bring a lawsuit against the U.S. Military on the basis of the 14th Amendment that guarantees equal rights to all citizens and Women's Armed Services Integration Act that guarantees women to serve in combat along with men.
3. B. The parents of the African-American student has the right to file a suit against Alabama, as the new policy contradicts the 15th Amendment, where any U.S. citizen cannot be discriminated on the basis of ethnicity and race.
3. C. While, individuals earning more than $250 000 pay taxes of higher rates, according to the scenario. Persons earning less than that are not excluded to pay taxes. Therefore, it is possible to bring the lawsuit and challenge the law on the basis of alternative minimum tax legislation and the 14th Amendment granting equal rights.
3. D. Government cannot prohibit the private organizations to invest in certain sectors unless it poses any threat to homeland security. In this case, the law is illegal and it is possible to argue that the present government puts the current individuals running for the office in the unequal conditions. It is possible to challenge the law on the basis of the 1st Amendment granting the freedom of speech and the press.