Free Essay On Edwin Brooke, Information Systems Manager, Livingstone Assurance
Information Interview Assignment
Part 1-Reflection-24 points
1. Interviewee Name, Position Title, Name of Company/Organization 3 points
2. Describe whether you believe your values, interests, personal qualities and skills would be consistent with the career you chose to explore in your information interview. Use examples from your interview to support your answer. 6 points
3. Express how this experience will impact your tentative career choice. 6 points
This interview helped me to re-focus my attention on pursuing my intended career path. Initially, I was not sure that I would stick to this field based on its competitiveness and the number of qualified persons in this field. However, my interviewee assured me that if I package myself right, then I will find my niche in the, market. For this reason, I will start by seeking internship on information systems management.
4. If you were to conduct another information interview, what type of position would you choose and why? 3 points
In addition to information systems manager, I would interview a database administrator. This is because based on my major; this is one of the alternative career paths that I could pursue. The job is related systems management and if I miss an opportunity in systems management, database administration would be a safe landing.
5. What feedback did the employer have on your resume?
He pointed out that my objectives were not clearly defined. He also noted that there were some grammatical errors. English being my second language, he suggested that I get someone to proofread it. Of concern was also my lack of experience in information systems. Mr. Brooke suggested that I get internship opportunities in information systems to gain relevant experience.
6. Other thoughts?
Part 2-Information Interview Questions-10 Points
What made you be interested in information systems?
Did you get any support from some like a mentor?
What type of experience did you have before you became an information manager?
What skills are important for this position?
Describe your career path for me.
What’s an average day like for you?
What plans do you have for future?
What benefits/ incentives do you get for your work?
Would you advise me to join this profession?
Would you be willing to offer the names/contact information of two or three other individuals who can offer further guidance in information systems?
Part 3-Thank-you Correspondence-
Dear Mr. Brooke,
Thank you for taking time to answer my questions about your career as an information systems manager. I appreciate you taking the time to provide guidance despite your busy schedule.
I greatly appreciate your offer for further mentorship.